Re: Gah... Grub-install issues

On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 20:09 -0800, Hex Star wrote:
> What kind of drive does your computer have (e.g. is it a SATA drive?)?
> There have been cases where some SATA drives have not been working
> properly with grub...

I don't think my drive is a SATA drive.  Mine is a Maxtor Diamond Max
ATA-133, 200GB drive.

Turns out that when I did a grub-install /dev/hda, grub overwrote the
master boot record, destroying not only the MBR for the system-commander
but also took the entire partition #1 out of service which was a Win98SE
partition.  Sigh...  I was experimenting around to try to get a handle
on grub but apparently grub does not seem to be able to create a boot
partition on a partition other than on the first partition.  Heck, it
does not even construct the proper needed files in the grub directory.

I guess I will have to roll up my sleeves, get some strong coffee and
ram this process through as I have done many times before.  Muti-boot
installations are a pain in the rear every time you forget past details
of how you did it before...  sigh.

Dan