Gah... Grub-install issues

Folks,

I have done this many times, but for some reason
I am just having a bad-hair day or something :-(

I am trying install FC5 as a multi-boot partition
and I have done this many times before, although it
has not always been easy in previous releases I
have done, but I was able to to get it working from
FC1 through FC4 and FC5-T3.

In this particular situation, I have installed my
/boot partition in /dev/hda3 (hd0,2) and my / partition
in /dev/hda7 (hd0,6) and I told anaconda (first time installation)
to install grub at /dev/hda7 and when the install completed,
and rebooted - grub fails to run. My multi-boot program
(system commander) is running  but I could not launch
fedora from it.

Ok, so I whipped out the rescue disc, booted it, and
chroot /mnt/sysimage, then looked in /boot and I see
that the kernel and the rest of the stuff there including
the grub directory.  Looking in the grub directory, all
the stages are there - minus grub.conf

Strange...  why is grub.conf missing?  Why is the
splash.xpm.gz file missing?

Ok, I created grub.conf from scratch, the grub.conf file,
rebooted and nope this did not work...  yes, I used the
proper (hd0,6) definitions so that is not the issue.

Using the rescue disc again, I went to /boot, and
then moved grub to xxxx, then ran grub-install as:

grub-install /dev/hda7

It ran... and created a new grub directory with all
the stages, minus grub.conf amd splash.xpm.gz files.

What is going on?  Do I need to get a strong drink
or something?

Please advise...

Kind regards,
Dan