Re: A little Samba help please

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 11:40 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 10:08 -0800, Knute Johnson wrote:
> > >First step in diagnosing whether or not a problem is SELinux is to try:
> > >
> > ># setenforce 0
> > >
> > >If the problem goes away then it's SELinux. If not, look elsewhere for
> > >the problem.
> > >
> > >Paul.
> >
> > Paul:
> >
> > Thanks for your reply.  I worked on it some more last night and found
> > a relavent article somewhere on the net.   The article said when
> > creating share files with the gui samba control program that since
> > FC4 it didn't set the selinux context correctly.  So I set the
> > directory to system_u:object_r:samba_share_t.  It works fine now.
> > Both directions.  I do have a question though, who should own the
> > share directory.  When root owned it it didn't work but I changed the
> > owner to nobody it worked.
> ----
> that sort of makes sense since you are running the shares as user
> 'nobody' - this is just one of many peculiar aspects of using 'security
> = share' modes...which I have never done.

I've never done that either - I always use "security = user". For
filestore that is to be shared between several people, I usually create
a new account for use with that filestore share, use "force user" in
smb.conf for that share (specifying the specially-created account) and
then have a "write list" for the share to say who can write to it.

Paul.