Re: A little Samba help please

On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 18:14 -0800, Knute Johnson wrote:
> I've been trying to get Samba to work for a long time and I think I'm
> close now.  I can see my network from Linux with only one small
> issue.  Sometimes the first time I try to open a share with Nautilus
> (is is still Nautilus in FC5?) it give me an error message that I
> might not have permission.  The next time I try it it opens just
> fine.  It isn't all shares, just some that do that.  They are all
> Windows shares though.
>
> My real problem is seeing my Linux shares on the Windows box.  They
> show up in the My Network Places but when I try to open them I get
> KJLAPTOP\share is not accessible ... Access Denied.  This problem was
> with directories I created.  If I share /usr/share for example I can
> see it just fine.  I've played with setting the SELinux context with
> chcon but I got nowhere.  What is different about a directory I
> create and one that is already there?
>
> I have my Samba server settings configured for Authentication Mode =
> Share, Encrypt Passwords = Yes, Guest Account = No Guest Account, and
> the only Samba user is nobody.  That doesn't seem to matter anyway.
> The Share is configured as Writable, Visible and Allow Access to
> everyone.  The ports are open.
>
> It works when I use a directory that was already there but not with a
> directory I create.  I want to create a directory in /var.  Anybody
> got any ideas?
>
> My system is recent FC5 upgrade from FC4.  No other problems seen.
----
I typically only use samba as a domain controller or member server -
which means that I never use 'security = share' which is somewhat of a
legacy mode Windows file share - meant to mimic the sharing methodology
employed by Windows 95/98 where there isn't really a user involved.

You are creating issues with SELinux running and I can't help with FC-5
since I haven't gone there but on FC-4, I probably could have helped.
Obviously, you are going to see avc denied messages pertaining to samba
trying to share directories that don't have the proper context.

My thoughts are that you shouldn't share /usr/share directory via samba
- I can't think of a single logical reason to do that. I have shared
things out of /var like /var/www/html via samba and that is workable and
obviously, you can create your own directories in /var tree and only
need to fix the selinux contexts again to permit it. I would suggest
that you post your selinux errors - here or on the fedora-selinux list
(better) because here, the only likely help you will get is Paul Horwath
at this point.

Anyway, I typically have all my samba shares in the /home tree, for
example:

/home/filessystems
/home/filessystems/samba
/home/filessystems/samba/netlogon
/home/filessystems/samba/shared_files
/home/filessystems/samba/profiles
/home/filessystems/samba/homes

and I can pretty much avoid the selinux issues.

Craig