Re: Finding Installed Packages

Well, what I'm doing is:

I'm going to leave the packages installed as they are, and I am currently Downloading the Java SDK5.0 from Sun's official site... It's a massive 131MB download, and in .bin format, so I really hope it gets registered with rpm's db for updates...

keep you lads posted

On 25/03/06, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Ali Helmy wrote:

> Hey mates, talking to you from FC5 :D
>
> Anyways, I noticed after compiling a .jar, that FC5 came with the "Free
> Source Foundation" of the jdk and jvm... however, I'd like to remove these,
> and to install the Sun JDK & JVM...
>
> So, any ideas how i can know which packages to un-install using yum? i mean
> what command do i type to list all java related rpms?

You could "rpm -qa | grep java", or you could use the GUI software
installer (under the Applications menu), or you could just leave them
there and build and install the JPackage Sun rpms (jpackage.org) and use
the alternatives system to select which one to use.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu