Re: am I getting old (lead fingered), or have my mice been taking steroids

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 08:30:28AM -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Thu March 23 2006 7:55 am, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > but the real fix is a new
> > mouse.
>
> Drum roll, crescendo, silence - "Andddddddddddd, the prize goes to
> fellow-geezer, Gene Heskett!"
>
> Installed a new mouse in the home machine, last night. Immediately noticed a
> tactile difference - a more solid feel as I pressed down the buttons... And,
> the double-click behavior seems to have stopped. It's still early, but I've
> browsed through a lot of mail, now, and there has been no uncertainty - the
> mouse is doing what I tell it to do...

As mechanical switches make or break contact, there is a certain amount
of "bounce", where the make or break is not a single concrete event,
but a transition of short make/break events and a lot of noise. In
the circuitry that they drive is "de-bounce" logic. I suppose it is
possible that as a switch ages, the amount of noise that occurs during
the make/break event may go up sufficiently to overload the debounce
logic. Or maybe not. I'm no hardware designer, so perhaps I'm soaking
wet.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."