Re: am I getting old (lead fingered), or have my mice been taking steroids

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 22:04, Claude Jones wrote:
>OK - with a subject line like that, this is going to be a letdown.
>On two separate FC4 machines, my mice have suddenly acquired deep
> sensivity - no, they aren't crying every time I click, but they are
> taking single clicks and treating them as double. I'm skimming mail,
> for instance, and I click on the next message arrow, and two messages
> are marked read and the third message gets displayed. If I click on a
> message in the list to see it in the reading pane, it opens up its
> own window. Doesn't happen every time, but, it's happening with
> increasing frequency - like many times a day. I tried playing with
> the KDE (I'm running KDE-Redhat) sensitivity setting, but it didn't
> seem to help.

This is a classic case of poor assembly when the mouse was built.  If
you open it up, you will probably find cracked solder joints on the
legs of the microswitches caused by the switch not being fully seated
in the board when it was soldered originally.  So the leg pushes the
joint away from the board on the down stroke, eventually breaking the
glue bond of the copper to the board, and eventually the edges of the
joint will fail from flexion.  Visible with a magnifying glass quite
easily.  You get one click when the switch clicks, you get an up event
when the cracked joint opens as your finger goes on down, the a new
click when the joint comes back together on the release, followed by an
up event when the switch itself finally clicks open.  Hold the switch
down solidly into the board while resoldering each leg, applying fresh
solder and it should be fixed for a while, but the real fix is a new
mouse.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: