Re: My mails to fedora list were blocked as spam

On Friday 24 March 2006 15:30, Barry Yu wrote:
>Yesterday evening 2 of my simple text base mails sented to fedora-list
> were blocked and routed to petsupermarket@xxxxxxxxxx, until this
> morning I got their email notice regarding my blocked mails and
> instructed me to click on a button to confirm if I wanted to send out
> the blocked mail, and I did click as told and then type in the
> numbers and alphabets as displayed, and then click to send, then I
> could send out the blocked mails to fedora list. I conntact the tech
> support in at&t yahoo dsl, and the told me my mails were routed to
> petsupermarket@xxxxxxxxxx as spam by the recipient email address -
> Which is fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx and I should inform the list for
> corrective action. Both of my blocked mails were simple text base
> without attachment. How can I avoid my outgoing mails to  fedora list
> being blocked? This never happened before, any one has encountered
> similar situation?

Somebody it appears has hijacked your mail.  Mail sent TO the list
should not result in its being intercepted and sent to uol.com.br.

However, mail from this list TO someone on this list does generate such
a response because that user has a realy to uol.com.br.

This has becomne such a major headache that the universal response is to
set up an incoming mail filter to send any and all messages from that
ISP to /dev/null.

I suspect you miss-understood the message you got FROM their Challenge
Response system, and now that you have responded, I suspect your
incoming spam will proliferate.  They have very carefully removed any
and all headers that might be used to track and find who the subscriber
is and several mailing list managers have gone way above the call of
duty it trying to ID the culprit.  Its not just this list.

oul.com.br is selling this "service" as a value added option to their
user accounts, and has so far, over nearly 6 months of complaints,
refused to fix or otherwise alleviate the problem they are creating for
the rest of the worlds net users.  I suspect they will only fix it when
they get enough complaints from their users that their email IS going
into a black hole.  They are the major ISP in Brazil, so if you squawk,
I expect you'll have to do it in portuguese.

This problem, and the pointless discussions about it, have now occupied
25% of almost any mailing lists time and effort for several months, so
lets please just drop it unless you want to ask for a filtering recipe.
There have been many of those posted in this lists searchable archives.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: