Re: De-activate a swap partition - I don't believe it!

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Wednesday 22 March 2006 03:52, Mike McCarty wrote:

Christofer C. Bell wrote:

I don't know what the HOWTO says about swap, but if you're going to
be hitting swap a lot, you want it on the inside tracks of the disk
where the sectors are closer together physically (because they're
smaller). Less space traveled by the disk head = faster access
times.

I don't either, but what you just wrote is wrong wrong wrong. Track to
track spacing is the same all across the disc. And there are the same
number of sectors per track as well. The disc rotates at a fixed rate,
so the same number of sectors pass under the head no matter where the
head is on the disc.

No. I explained that before. Its the same number of sectors per second, but the inner tracks have less velocity, hence fewer actual sectors per track. Because the sectors are the same physical length in terms of

I did a little bit more research, and it appears that my information
is OUT OF DATE. So, I retract.

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.