Re: De-activate a swap partition - I don't believe it!

On 3/19/06, jdow <jdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> (Hint, there is at least partitioning HOW-TO with some hints on where the
> swap files ought to go. Three partitions are usually called for. /boot,
> /, and swap. Ordering depends on the performance you need. If you go to
> swap a lot - put it near the outside of the disk. If you do not go to swap
> at all often then put it anywhere you want, it'll not make a huge difference.)

I don't know what the HOWTO says about swap, but if you're going to be
hitting swap a lot, you want it on the inside tracks of the disk where
the sectors are closer together physically (because they're smaller).
Less space traveled by the disk head = faster access times.

Then again, swap is universally slow and I personally don't think it
matters where it goes.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."