Re: bittorrent slow

sean wrote:
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:40:30 -0500
"Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

YMMV  Especially if your ISP is limiting your bandwidth during the day
and evening hours like mine seems to be.  I'm pretty sure RCN is, so
that their business customers (who pay more for their serivce) get more
bandwidth during their business day.

Rate limiting by the ISP is not likely the problem for most people
on this thread.
For instance, one person could download with ftp or http much faster; this would suggest a bittorrent configuration issue
(unless the ISP is specificially limiting torrents).

Another user complained of 1.5k/s to 2.5k/s speeds which clearly
doesn't have to do with rate limiting by the ISP and again suggests
that bittorrent/firewall/router configuration is needed.

One thing that I have found that helps is to not use the standard bittorrent port. The command line option is

--maxport 45000 --minport 40000

This has helped me loads in the past.

YMMV
Steve