Re: bittorrent slow

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 11:11:45 -0700
Tony Heaton <theaton@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have to agree with all these bittorrent complaints.  It took me 22
> hours to get the FC5 i386 DVD from bittorrent.  It took me 35 minutes to
> get the FC5 x86_64 DVD from a mirror.  32 minutes to get the FC5 ppc DVD
> from a mirror.

The biggest problem is usually that your upstream speed is limited which
will severely reduce your download speed (1).  One common cause is having
local firewall (iptables) rules active.  Another is having a router
(linksys etc.) which hasn't been configured to allow bittorrent
connections (2).

Once your environment is configured properly (which isn't always easy)
bittorrent download speeds are usually respectable.

Sean

1 bittorrent has fairness algorithms that cause your download speed to be
  based on how fast you upload to others.

2 http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm gives a pretty decent walk through
  to help you configure your router properly