Re: Can't tell if I have been hacked :(

On Mon March 20 2006 5:47 pm, Olaf Mueller wrote:
> Lovell Mcilwain wrote:
> > I logged into my machine via ssh and found that I couldn't run any
> > commands and got a input/output error.  I couldn't run the who
> > command to see if anyone else was logged into my machine and I
> > couldn't check my firestarter log to see if I have been breached.
> >
> > I was able to run an ls -al and found that a lot of my permissions
> > had
> > ???? as the owner.  My gnome interface is pretty much disappeared and
> > all I see is the background.  I can't shut down this machine because
> > the halt and shutdown commands are not recognized (I get the same
> > input/output error)
>
> This happens to me last week on two computers with fc4 installed on.
> Both systems have a aha-2940 scsi card on board. Don't know if this is
> a problem of the kernel (2.6.15-1.1833_FC4) or of the aic7xxx-module.
> On rebooting the systems I got the error 'mkrootdev: label / not found'
> and I had to reinstall the complete system.
>
> By the way, all harddisks (ide) are ok, I have tested them with several
> tools. So my trust in fedora is a little bit distressed.

Just to add something to this discussion. Today, I've just noticed that ssh
has become disabled on two separate machines, one at home, and one at my
office. Both are FC4 and are kept up to date with latest patches. I haven't
really dived in, yet, except to look at the ssh config files, where there
didn't seem to be anything amiss. So far, I've tried applying my firewall
rules from fwbuilder to both machines, and both give back ssh errors. I then
tried a simple log on via ssh to the local machine at work, and it failed. I
just tried to log in to my office machine from home, and it just stalls. I
don't know when this stopped working, but the fact that it's happenning on
two machines widely separate, makes me wonder if some recent update broke
things...

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA