Re: Can't tell if I have been hacked :( [Solved for one specific machine]

On Mon March 20 2006 8:45 pm, Claude Jones wrote:
> Just to add something to this discussion. Today, I've just noticed that ssh
> has become disabled on two separate machines, one at home, and one at my
> office. Both are FC4 and are kept up to date with latest patches. I haven't
> really dived in, yet, except to look at the ssh config files, where there
> didn't seem to be anything amiss. So far, I've tried applying my firewall
> rules from fwbuilder to both machines, and both give back ssh errors. I
> then tried a simple log on via ssh to the local machine at work, and it
> failed. I just tried to log in to my office machine from home, and it just
> stalls. I don't know when this stopped working, but the fact that it's
> happenning on two machines widely separate, makes me wonder if some recent
> update broke things...

To prevent muddying the waters, I just discovered the cause on one of my
machines. For some reason, my LAN NIC's IP address had been added to
hosts.deny, presumably by "denyhosts", the utility that monitors ssh log-on
attempts, and adds unsuccessful IPs to the hosts.deny list, when log-in
attempts exceed the configured numbers. Removing my LAN NIC from the list
allowed me to apply my firewall rules, which uses ssh over the inside NIC to
connect and apply.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA