Re: Kickstart w/o ks.cfg

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 14:16 -0500, Terry Polzin wrote:
> On Monday 20 March 2006 13:52, Jamie Bohr wrote:
> > I was told I could kickstart a system w/o having a kickstart file, all I
> > needed to do was point to the location of where the ISO files were located
> > and the install would work as though I was installing from the CD's.  Now
> > that I want to do it I can not find any documentation to get it to work.
> > For example I was told something like the following would work:
> >
> > linux ks=http://<web server>/Fedora/5/iso/
> >
> > The above location has all the Fedoer 5 isos in it and can been seen by a
> > web broswer.
> >
> > Am I off my kester, can this truely be done?
> You need at the least a boot or rescue CD image to boot from.
>
> You would be doing a network install not a kickstart.  Although, you could
> write a kickstart file and tell it all about where and how to download and
> install.

You can set up a boot server and do a netboot.  In this manner you can
do a normal install or a kickstart install without any boot media other
than PXE booting.  No CD or DVD.

Install sytem-config-netboot on the server if it isnt' already.  You can
do this on your web server or a seperate server

This URL may help.
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-netboot-pxe-config.html

--
Tony Heaton