Re: mount Win partitions

Greetings Anne,

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Saturday 18 March 2006 23:08, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:

fstab is a plain text file . Most of the configuration files are also
plain text files .Now ,  you may use even Write from OpenOffice if you wish BUT you have to
remember to save it as a PLAIN TEXT file . That's why you succeeded with
Kwrite , Kwrite didn't altered the format of the file so it was ok .

I've never been convinced that 'plain text' from a word processor is really plain text. I think that once, long ago, I experimented and found that many text editors wouldn't open a file that had been created that way. Of course things may be different now, but I wouldn't risk it.

Remember /etc/fstab is a configuration file that is being parsed during the
boot sequence , if  something goes wrong will it then you might very well
end will a kernel panic ( Kernel being unable to find it's root partition and
the rest of the files needed ) . So i would second you on that especially
for configuration files . That's the reason i initially proposed good old
vi and not a GUI text editor word proccessor .

The biggest problem for a newbie is that it may not be clear which apps are indeed text editors and not word processors.

Well i have to admitt that i am a newbie in that matter too . Since i don't
really know where a text editor ends and a word proccessor starts .

Anne

Kostas