Re: mount Win partitions

On Saturday 18 March 2006 23:08, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:

> I always use vi to edit config files . I don't know how to use vi . Only
> just
> a couple of commands ( insert , for insterting text , wq for Save and Exit
> and q! for exit ) and that was all i needed .

Agreed - a handful of commands is all you need to get out of trouble.

> > I don't know why that was Kostas' recommendation.
>
> Vi knows only plain text file ( for as far as i know ) so even by accident
> i can't possibly save in another format , so i can't possibly damage the
> file beyond recovery .

Fair comment.

> fstab is a plain text file . Most of the configuration files are also
> plain text files .
> Now ,  you may use even Write from OpenOffice if you wish BUT you have to
> remember to save it as a PLAIN TEXT file . That's why you succeeded with
> Kwrite , Kwrite didn't altered the format of the file so it was ok .

I've  never been convinced that 'plain text' from a word processor is really
plain text.  I think that once, long ago, I experimented and found that many
text editors wouldn't open a file that had been created that way.  Of course
things may be different now, but I wouldn't risk it.

The biggest problem for a newbie is that it may not be clear which apps are
indeed text editors and not word processors.

Anne