Re: nfs mount failed on FC4 just because I statically built all NFS functions in kernel?

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 15:25 -0800, Robinson Tiemuqinke wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  An interesting problem with NFS on FC4. I built a
> vanilla kernel 2.6.15.6 with NFS options all set to
> 'y', then after compilation NFS functions are all
> statically built into kernel, not as loadable modules.
>
>  But after I reboot the machine and boots up with new
> kernel, the NFS function fails whining can not locate
> sunrpc module!! It sucks since sunrpc is already
> statically built-into kernel!
>
>  I tried to mount NFS share on this nfs server from on
> itself, but the mount operations all failed, though
> rpc.mountd authenticated without problems.
>
>  Any one know why?
>
> [root@testnode01 ~]# /etc/init.d/nfs restart
> Shutting down NFS mountd:
>     [  OK  ]
> Shutting down NFS daemon:
>     [  OK  ]
> Shutting down NFS quotas:
>     [  OK  ]
> Shutting down NFS services:
>     [  OK  ]
> Starting NFS services:
>     [  OK  ]
> Starting NFS quotas:
>     [  OK  ]
> Starting NFS daemon:
>     [  OK  ]
> Starting NFS mountd:
>     [  OK  ]
> Starting RPC idmapd: FATAL: Module sunrpc not found.
> FATAL: Error running install command for sunrpc
> [root@testnode01 ~]#
>
> [root@testnode01 ~]# mount testnode01:/1 /mnt
> mount: testnode01:/1 failed, reason given by server:
> Permission denied
>

> In /var/log/messages:
> Mar 17 14:27:48 testnode01 rpc.mountd: authenticated
> mount request from testnode01.example
> .com:693 for /1 (/1)

The problem is not having the NFS compiled into the kernel. (I use
regularly on embedded systems I create). Your configuration seems to be
problematic.

What's the value of CONFIG_SUNRPC?

$ cd /usr/src/linux
$ cat .config | grep SUNRPC