Re: SAMBA configuration - Machine name

Michael H. Warfield wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Time out!

You missed one.  A critical one.  Plus a few other details...

Number one...  Firewall - critical...

iptables -I INPUT -p udp --dport 137 -j ACCEPT

[snip]

IAC...  The MS-DOS client can not query the server for it's name because
137/udp is blocked.

Sooo...

1) Poke the hole for 137/udp

# iptables -I INPUT -p udp --dport 137 -j ACCEPT
#

2) Update your iptables conf file

I don't know what this refers to.

3) Double check that you have a share section for the resource your are
requesting.

/etc/samba/smb.conf

[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no
   public = yes

4) Restart the Samba server

I've restarted it several times, but of course it needs it
again, so...

# service smb stop
Shutting down SMB services:                                [  OK  ]
Shutting down NMB services:                                [  OK  ]
# service winbind stop

Shutting down Winbind services:                            [  OK  ]
# service smb start
Starting SMB services:                                     [  OK  ]
Starting NMB services:                                     [  OK  ]
# service winbind start
Starting Winbind services:                                 [  OK  ]
#
5) Retest

JMCCARTY@AMD586 Q:\NET> net view \\PRESARIO

Error 5: Access has been denied.

Progress! This is a *different* error message. It used to be

Error 53: The computer named in the network path cannot be located.

6) (Just for shits and giggles) Try a longer name with only alpha
numerics.
7) Take this issue up on the Samba list (where there is lots of
expertise in dealing with whacked out antiquated versions of MS cruft).

Umm, thanks.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.