Re: Are RWs a problem?

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 20:40, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 16:12 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Something very odd is happening with these disks.  I get errors, as I
> > said, if I ask it to simulate.  I tried doing a burn without a
> > simulation, and it went through the whole process, but then said it
> > couldn't read the ISO9660 file system.  Attemptint to mount the disk says
> > that it doesn't exist.
>
> I just talked about this very subject on the fedora beta list.  It seems
> if I burn a new cd-rw disk, it seems to work fine.  But if I try to
> reburn it, it wouldn't do it.  I think someone mentioned that they
> unmounted it and it still had problems.

I'm fairly sure that I've tracked it down, Mike.

Someone told me off-list to try to burn a short iso using cdrecord in a
terminal.  The command I used was

cdrecord dev=/dev/hdd -vvvvvvvv -blank=disc /home/anne/test.iso

and it failed.  I googled on 'faio_wait_on_buffer for writer timed out' and
found that others were complaining of the same problem.  Then someone
reported that if you split the command into two, it works perfectly, so I did

cdrecord -vv dev=/dev/hdd blank=all
cdrecord -vv dev=/dev/hdd /home/anne/test.iso

and it wrote perfectly - this to a disk that k3b had been totally unable to
deal with.

It looks as though there is actually a bug in cdrecord, which is causing k3b
to fail.

Anne