Re: RAID 5 Multiple Hard-drives failure

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 09:37, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> Yes. Whenever this happened, I had always unplug the drive from the
> machine, plug it to another test machine and run Maxtor diagnostic software
> from their website. Their diagnostic software showed that the drive is bad
> and/or failing. This was true for all the drives that had failed for me in
> the system (including this last one).

We've had multiple Maxtor drives fail over the past three years. There's an
unacknowledged (by Maxtor) problem with their drives, or with some of their
drives, or with one of their plants. If you do some googling on Maxtor drive
failure, you'll get a ton of hits. Our latest victim was just this weekend. A
200GB drive in a system with a 400w PS, an 80mm fan mounted directly in front
of the drive bay blowing air across the drives, and an 80mm fan mounted to
the back of the case to exhaust air. This drive became so hot when I ran
diagnostics on it outside the case, that I wasn't able to touch it. We've
probably had 20 Maxtors fail in the past 36 months. These drives were mostly
purchased in a short period of time by a previous hardware manager - we stick
to Seagate these days, which still offers a 5 year warranty - we haven't had
to replace a single Seagate so far.