Re: RAID 5 Multiple Hard-drives failure

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 10:27, Mariano López Reta wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 10:16 -0500, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> > > - controller (in this case, motherboard) failure: sometimes is not the
> > > drive that fails, but the controller, rendering the disks useless.
> >
> > I am suspecting this too. But something I was not sure, could a bad
> > controller render a drive to be physically damaged / bad as well ? My
> > controller is on PCI card, any way to determine if they are bad ? or is
> > the motherboard ? The system drive that plugs directly to the motherboard
> > (not part of the RAID array) has never had any problem.
>
> Hmmmm, interesting. Then, I would say that the problem concentrates on
> the controller or the drives, since you have other disks (I'm assuming
> same make/model here), that has not failed.

Sorry, I forgot to mention. The system drive that plug to the motherboard is
*not* of the same make and model (I think it's 80GB WD).

> Do you have other machine
> were you can check if the drive respond or if it went bad definitely?

Yes. Whenever this happened, I had always unplug the drive from the machine,
plug it to another test machine and run Maxtor diagnostic software from their
website. Their diagnostic software showed that the drive is bad and/or
failing. This was true for all the drives that had failed for me in the
system (including this last one).

> If
> it is physically damaged, then I would say that the problem is almost
> surely on the drive itself. If some (or most or all) of the errors can
> be corrected using other controller/motherboard, then the fault is on
> the electronics.

Thanks.
RDB
--