From: "Jeff Vian" <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 3:35 AM
Subject: Re: Backup script

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 23:12 +0000, Chris Norman wrote:
> Hi people,
> I want to make a script that will b ack up users' home directories.
>
> I know how to make a tar ball, but I only want the script to run once
> every
> week (I think with a cron job, but don't know how to do this), and I want
> it
> to use the name of the directory as the tar ball. So, if I have
> /home/chris,
> it will use /backup/chris.tar.tar. I also want it to check the time stamps
> of each file in the backup directory, and if they are over a month old,
> delete them. How would I implement this?
>
> I don't want the script written for me, just the knowledge to get started,
> articles, tutorials and stuff.

in general, write the script to do an ls of the /home directory to get
the user accounts to do a backup on.
then once you have that variable saved, use it to name the file and run
the tar command.
do the tar command in a loop so it can do the same for each needed
directory.

something like
cd /home
for file in `ls`
do
   { put your tar commands here using $file as the input directory
        and output file name
   the output file can be written anywhere you choose.}
done
should do it nicely.