Re: Strange routing table.

Scot L. Harris wrote:
On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 01:49 +0100, Erik P. Olsen wrote:

My main box is an FC3 linux box wire coupled to a Linksys router WRT54G. I have two laptops wireless coupled to the router. One laptop runs Windows 2000 the other Windows XP. The laptops can ping all boxes but the linux box can't ping the laptops. All boxes access the internet through the router without any problem whatsoever. In addition I have two printers wire coupled to the router and all boxes can print on any printer.

The routing table on the linux box is:

Kernel IP routing table
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
169.254.0.0     *               255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 eth0
default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

It looks quite primitive to me compared to what I see on the windows boxes, so I assume something is wrong with - but what? How can I customise the routing table so that I can ping the laptops?

Also it contains a destination address of 169.254.0.0 which I don't know and which I have not added to the table myself. What could it be and who has put it into my routing table?

You can ignore the 169.254 address.  That is there due to the zeroconf
being enabled by default.  You can disable this if you like.

You don't provide details on how you are trying to ping the other
systems from the linux box.  Are you using their IP addresses or trying
to use their host names?  You should be able to ping them using IP
addresses.  Unless you are using DNS that contains all of your local
machines host names or have put those names in your /etc/hosts file.
Windows systems can utilize info collected using WINS and Netbios to
determine hostnames.
I have been using both IP-addresses and host names and the host names are correctly substituted by the corresponding IP-addresses.

Since you believe I should be able to ping them I'll leave the routing table issue and look for inhibitors outside the linux box. Perhaps it's in the router? I'll concentrate on that.

--
Regards,
Erik P. Olsen