Backup script

Hi people,
I want to make a script that will b ack up users' home directories.

I know how to make a tar ball, but I only want the script to run once every
week (I think with a cron job, but don't know how to do this), and I want it
to use the name of the directory as the tar ball. So, if I have /home/chris,
it will use /backup/chris.tar.tar. I also want it to check the time stamps
of each file in the backup directory, and if they are over a month old,
delete them. How would I implement this?

I don't want the script written for me, just the knowledge to get started,
articles, tutorials and stuff.

Cheers for that,

Chris Norman
<!-- chris.norman4@xxxxxxxxxxxx -->