Re: Samba problem needs translation

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 20:15 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 10 March 2006 19:46, Craig White wrote:
>
> > which machine is set to use workgroup named MYDOMAIN.LAN ?
> >
> That is not the workgroup name, it's a substitute.  Reason?  Long story, not
> really relevant.
>
> > that doesn't sound like a samba box...that sounds more like a Windows
> > box that is trying to be a WINS server for that workgroup at the same
> > time your Samba box is in a different workgroup...just guessing
> >
> All boxes, windows and linux boxes have the same workgroup name.
>
> > Probably easiest to have all computers on the LAN have the same
> > workgroup name at which point samba using 'wins support = true' and an
> > OS level of say > 33 should effectively win all browsing elections and
> > cut down on the noise
> >
> OK - so do you suggest that I have 'wins support = true' AND 'wins server =
> 192.168.0.30' (the samba server IP)?
---
never both - one or the other but since the samba server IS the WINS
server (wins support = true), that would be the only relevant line
----

> Other boxes have OS level set to 33 and the server was set to 66, though when
> I went to the slimmed down version recommended in 'Samba 3 by Example' that
> was taken out.  I'll put it back in.
----
I probably would...it settles the election issues. If there are other
samba servers, you 'might' want to set them to use 'wins server =
ip_addr_of_samba_based_wins_server'

I should point out though that man smb.conf /wins support
recommends that you not even bother turning it on for a single subnet at
all. Thus, don't go by me...I ALWAYS have it turned on but I ALWAYS use
domain logons, roaming profiles, etc...the things that make a Windows
network more robust and it's easiest for users if they can simply go to
'My Network Places' and browse the network quickly/smoothly.

There is another option *if* you have only WinNT, Win2K, WinXP type
Windows systems (i.e. no Win95/Win98/WinME) and that is not to use any
NetBIOS at all...turn off netbios on all the Windows systems and remove
the WINS support entry and then all name resolution should be done
through a local DNS server. WINS and browser elections and the like are
all about NetBIOS and with NetBIOS completely shut off...that ends the
discussion altogether. That would be the quieter/faster method but
probably more work to set up.

Craig