Re: Samba problem needs translation

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 19:37 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 10 March 2006 19:17, Craig White wrote:
>
> > what do you get from 'testparm -s|grep wins' ?
> >
> testparm -s|grep wins
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Processing section "[homes]"
> Processing section "[Public2]"
> Processing section "[Anne-Public]"
> Processing section "[Spreadsheets]"
> Processing section "[printers]"
> Processing section "[print$]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> Warning: Service printers defines a print command, but print command parameter
> is ignored when using CUPS libraries.
>         wins support = Yes
>
> The last line was put in after a google session that suggested it would cut
> down on messages regarding one box, saying they should be referred to a wins
> server.  It didn't.  I should have taken it out again.  Do you think this is
> the problem?
>
> I can't do anything about the mis-configured box causing those other messages,
> so I have to just block them from the logs.
----
which machine is set to use workgroup named MYDOMAIN.LAN ?

that doesn't sound like a samba box...that sounds more like a Windows
box that is trying to be a WINS server for that workgroup at the same
time your Samba box is in a different workgroup...just guessing

Probably easiest to have all computers on the LAN have the same
workgroup name at which point samba using 'wins support = true' and an
OS level of say > 33 should effectively win all browsing elections and
cut down on the noise

Craig