Re: OT: Humor

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
bill perkins wrote:
Yup, I ran HDOS- it wasn't bad, and the source was available; I bought
the books when they were discontinuing them. HDOS was written for the
8080, though, not a Z80 instruction in sight! I added a patch to map
some reserved space to RAM, wound up with 56K RAM and 8K ROM thereby,
and another patch to allow the modem to tie in directly to the terminal,
so I could access the system from work. I got to show my boss what an
actual assembler could do, as opposed to typing hex codes into an EPROM
burner. My boss went to up to the Pres's office and snagged the only PC
in the building, bought a cross assembler for Z80, and the rest (for me)
was history.

What is really interesting is that there is software for both DOS
and Linux that will let you run CP/M on a PC. So you can run the
native 8080 and Z80 assemblers and dis-assemblers under CP/M. There
was even a version that took advantage of the NEC 8086/8088
replacement CPU's that would also do 8080 instruction sets.

Mikkel
I remember the NEC processors- they also had a Z80 instruction-set version. I was intrigued, but never did manage to play on them. I should look into the CP/M emulator; being a long-time assembly-language hacker, it would be nice to relive the simplicity :)

"The two most common things in the	| Bill Perkins
universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity."	| perk@xxxxxxx
					| programmer-at-large
		F. Zappa		| ALL assembly languages done here.