Re: MySQL 5.0.18/Postfix 2.2.2-2

From: "Jim Douglas" <jdz99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: MySQL 5.0.18/Postfix 2.2.2-2
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 20:03:45 +0000

From: Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:24:23 +0000

jludwig wrote:
On Wednesday 08 March 2006 19:30, Jim Douglas wrote:

I get the following error when trying to start Postfix after rebuilding
with MySQL 5.0.18

postfix: error while loading shared libraries: libmysqlclient.so.14: cannot
open shared object file: No such file...

MySQL runs fine...anyone know where I can download/install
libmysqlclient.so.14?

(Fedore Core 4.)

Jim

After upgrading using rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force *.rpm
/usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.14 is replaced with /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.15.

You might try;

ln -s /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.14  or
ln -s /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.15 /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.14

If this will work I do not know.

Ugh.

For the umpteenth time: using "--nodeps" and/or "--force" is likely to break your system, as the OP has found out. RPM's dependencies are there for a reason and if you deliberately ignore them, don't be surprised when other things break.

The correct fix for this problem is to install the MySQL4 compatibility libraries, which include libmysqlclient.so.14. There is a mysqlclient14 package in rawhide for this purpose. You could probably rebuild the SRPM on FC4 and install that to fix this problem.

Paul.

I had already done this but was indeed afarid I was breaking something.
rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force postfix*.rpm

So I installed rawhide and then potfix with,

rpm -i postfix*.rpm

And there are no error messages and postfix works fine!

I don't have to re-install MySQL then Postfix.  Do I ?

Thanks,
Jim