Re: OT: Humor

bill perkins wrote:
> Yup, I ran HDOS- it wasn't bad, and the source was available; I bought
> the books when they were discontinuing them. HDOS was written for the
> 8080, though, not a Z80 instruction in sight! I added a patch to map
> some reserved space to RAM, wound up with 56K RAM and 8K ROM thereby,
> and another patch to allow the modem to tie in directly to the terminal,
> so I could access the system from work. I got to show my boss what an
> actual assembler could do, as opposed to typing hex codes into an EPROM
> burner. My boss went to up to the Pres's office and snagged the only PC
> in the building, bought a cross assembler for Z80, and the rest (for me)
> was history.

What is really interesting is that there is software for both DOS
and Linux that will let you run CP/M on a PC. So you can run the
native 8080 and Z80 assemblers and dis-assemblers under CP/M. There
was even a version that took advantage of the NEC 8086/8088
replacement CPU's that would also do 8080 instruction sets.

Mikkel