Re: NX client on FC4

On 3/8/06, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 17:08 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 3/8/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 15:04, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>         > On 3/8/06, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         >         Hello Everyone,
>         >
>         >         Is anyone here using the NX client for Linux (any
>         version) on
>         >         Fedora
>         >         Core 4 with a freenx server?  If you are, have you
>         experienced
>         >         any
>         >         problems with Metacity not starting in the remote
>         Gnome
>         >         session?
>         >
>         > I am using the NX client ith FreeNX, but I use KDE and
>         haven't noticed
>         > any problems, on the contrary, I am very impressed coming
>         from VNC.
>
>         I've had an assortment of problems with sessions lingering
>         that should have been terminated and not being able to
>         resume sessions that should have been available.   I don't
>         think they are fedora-specific problems but I'd appreciate
>         any insight - it is great after the connection works.
>
> I'm sorry to again have a KDE centric answer but here is what I do and
> works flawlessly.
> - Setup freenx on machine with KDE (in my case FC4)
> - Login in with NX client (i have tried both Windows and another FC4
> machine)
> - Enjoy and use
> - Use the Logout button in KDE when done (this has never failed to
> close the session for me)
>
> I have done this over both wifi/WAN and simple ethernet/WAN
> connections.
----
I can't speak for Les or Kanwar, but my problem is not with logging out
but sometimes resuming 'suspended' sessions and that is probably my
biggest frustration as I have a fairly well defined workspace with a
terminal with 5 shells in my first window - specific directories and one
with a root shell and one with a root shell on a separate server, the
second window with phppgadmin, the third window with Quanta Plus - my
primary development software and the 4 workspace, Firefox with several
tabs. When I cannot resume the session, I have to in essence, recreate
it though I have some shortcuts to get things back to where they were,
it's never the same as I had left my suspended session and it's
frustrating.

Craig

Does the  desktop environment not save your session on logout, thereby recreating it for you on login? This won't work as well with firefox though.