Re: Re:Re: Re: OOo and Firefox in Linux - Unrequited Love

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 12:50 -0800, Otto de Voogd (Fedora List) wrote:
> --- Parameshwara Bhat <peebhat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [cut out feelings]
>
> > > I don't know about what the community might say, but I would say that I
> > > find it baffling that someone would rather choose a public forum to
> > > announce their desires rather than go into redhat's bugzilla or Oo's bug
> > > reporting tool and make an entry.
> >
> > Well,Craig, I agree it is only proper to report one's wishes and
> > observations in the right place.(bugzilla). All users owe that much to the
> > open developer community.
> >
> > But in my case I was not fully sure it was a bug or inadequacy, though I
> > have felt this for quite a while. I wondered if it's not my own ignorance.
>
> [cut out more feelings]
>
> All feelings aside, I for one can scroll with the mousewheel in both
> Firefox and OpenOffice (on FC4), so you may be having another problem,
> or at least one that is not necessarily a bug with said applications.
----
I think he was referring to 'horizontal' scroll not vertical scroll.

As for his feelings - I think he was on point, uncertain whether to
report them. My thinking is that if he feels that the feature should be
included, he should report it to bugzilla or whatever tracking system
the project(s) use. My thinking shouldn't necessarily color his thinking
or his expectations and the point I was trying to make is that too often
we (and I'm including myself here) make the mistake of thinking that if
we post on this list, that it might actually mean something when in
reality, unless we make our expectations known in the proper channels,
then we can't expect them to possibly ever be realized.

Of course the package maintainers might have their own point of view and
they can respond accordingly. I've certainly had bugzilla entries
rebuffed and even had patches rejected - c'est la vie

I could have suggested that a package like Firefox seems to hold back on
features unless they can be implemented across the various platforms but
again, how are project developers ever gonna know what we are looking
for unless we tell them and we can't expect them to monitor
fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx - that is the purpose for bug tracking systems.

Craig