Re: From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

Tim wrote:

I haven't used FC5, and the above seems in the wrong list, but I've
found similar problems with prior releases.  You'd spend ages selecting
packages, and it'd bomb out.  You had to spend ages selecting packages
because it cannot be done quickly (the system is too slow).
In previous release, system-config-packages basically didnt understand the concept of software repositories. Now it has been replaced by Pirut which uses the yum API.

For mass installations, being able to configure it all to be done in one
hit is an advantage.  But for individual users who might install an OS
once in a blue moon, it's far easier if you install a *basic* system,
get that to boot up normally, then run a package manager in a
comfortable working environment.  Rather than some low res screen where
your mouse doesn't work, and you only have slow speed access to a CD-ROM
drive.

Unfortunately it's not easy to do, the minimum install has no X.  The
minimum install installs more than what I call minimum.  And installing
X manually is not so easy, there's more X packages than you need.
I have been doing just that for previous releases using yum groupinstall. Might want to check the man page and http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/yum/ for details. Pirut provides a graphical interface oriented towards the same package groups. Note that Anaconda has different groups like base os and others which provide different kind of "minimal" environments. The really minimal versions dont even install yum so that might be a bit of a pain to bootstrap later.

--
Rahul