RE: From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>Thomas Taylor wrote:
>

>>Since everything installs are no longer possible, and given the number of
>>packages on the installation media, at the very least one should be able to
>>choose all of the packages within a group instead of having to go into each
>>groups list and check all the packages individually.
>>
>>This is a VERY POOR way of package selection and WILL NOT make Fedora a choice
>>for newcommers to linux.  Other distros are making things easier in order to
>>attract converts from Winbloze and Mac's.  Making installation harder is a
>>definate disservice to loyal Fedora users.
>>

>There has been long discussion in fedora-test list about this already.
>Everything installations are possible through kickstart. Within the user
>interface, there is no need to pick packages individually. The package
vselection screen allows selection of groups in an easy manner.

>http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/PackageSelection
>
>You might want to try it out in practise before calling it poor.
>
>--
>Rahul
>--

When it comes to installing FC5-T3, the package managers
the Fedora-Team supplied really makes the installation
experience VERY poor.  It is VERY unstable.  The current
package manager (Add/Remove Software) appears to have been
written and designed by someone's 5 year old kid; is slapped
together ad-hoc, poorly designed and is absolutely useless for
the hurried installer.  Prepare to sit in front of your monitor
and select your "all packages" choices, one-by-one and cross your
fingers - you *might* make it, you *might* not.  Alas - my eyes
are bloodshot after 3 days.  I *should* have known better to download
the RPM's myself, write a script with rpm commands and I would save
a LOT of time - but no - I placed my (mis)trust in this highly touted
new program manager for FC5.

Giving up, I tried yumex and it was nightmarish, highly unstable, and
actually FROZE the OS!  THAT was included in the Extra's folder and
I cannot for the LIFE of me understand my this is supported and not
APT and Synaptics!

APT/Synaptic was a very good package manager and proved it's
mettle but apparently the Fedora Team must not like the fact
they did not want something developed by another distro so
apparently they threw this out of the extras folder and destroyed
any chance to recover from a black eye.

I am VERY disappointed with FC5-T3 and refuse to continue
with it any further and will look into other distros who can do
the job more professionally.

So - maybe you should look at things more closely before suggesting
to Thomas that HE try it out.  I am saving Thomas a nightmare as
reported above.

Disappointed,
Dan