Re: ProFTP login horror

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 21:24 +0100, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> Hi Les,
> > I haven't used proftpd for a while.  Does it have any security
> > options (like not running as root or living in a chroot jail)
> > that would keep it from reading your shadow password file?
>
> Yes, it doesn't run as root and can live in a chroot jail.

Here's what I use:

In proftpd.conf:

# Use pam to authenticate (default) and be authoritative
AuthPAMConfig                   proftpd
AuthOrder                       mod_auth_pam.c* mod_auth_unix.c
# Do not perform ident lookups (hangs when the port is filtered)
IdentLookups                    off
# Turn off reverse DNS lookups
# Not having this option can cause problems for chrooted users e.g.
anonymous
#UseReverseDNS                  off
# This sometimes helps too
PersistentPasswd                off

And in /etc/pam.d/proftpd

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     pam_listfile.so item=user sense=deny
file=/etc/ftpusers onerr=succeed
auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required     pam_shells.so
account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth

Paul.