Re: ProFTP login horror

Hi Les,
> I haven't used proftpd for a while.  Does it have any security
> options (like not running as root or living in a chroot jail)
> that would keep it from reading your shadow password file?

Yes, it doesn't run as root and can live in a chroot jail.

> And out of curiosity, why are you using it instead of vsftpd?

When I read through the config of vsftp I didn't see whether I could do the
following with it :

1) I need to allow login only for local known users and need all to have
read/write access but limited only to the ftp directory when accessed over
ftp.
2) I need the port of the ftp server to be different than 21

Perhaps I haven't checked out vsftp well enough though. If it's possible to do
this with vsftp than I'd like to know.

regards,
Marcel