Re: Fedora Core 3 questions

Lawrence R. Stumpf wrote:
> Hello, I have Fedora Core 3 kernel 2.6.9-1.667, HPG55 printer,
> hpG55.ppd, hpijs-1.6, and CUPS-1.1.22.

That's pretty old. It's also out of anything but security updates. Have
you configured the Fedora Legacy repo? Or is the computer not connected
to the Internet?

You might also want to try the Fedora Legacy list: FC3 is technically
off-topic here these days. You're more likely to get other people with
FC3 there, anyway.

> Question #1-My BIOS asks if my
> operating system is a plug-and-play one. Yes or no?

These days, it should make *very* little difference. ACPI should allow
the OS and the BIOS to sort out hardware settings anyway.

You might as well set it to "yes".

> Question #2-My BIOS
> says If your operating system is OS/2 and main memory size over 64 MB
> select OS2, otherwise select Non-OS2.
Non-OS/2.

It sounds like you're playing around with all the options in your BIOS
without really understanding them. Most of these settings are "leave
alone unless you have a problem": motherboards are designed so PC firms
can bung together a PC quickly, bulk-install Windows onto the hard
drive, *hopefully* run burn-in tests, and deliver to the customers.
There isn't time for them to tweak umpteen settings.

And Linux is generally happy with that: either manufacturers ignore
Linux (so there isn't a "make Linux work" option), or they make Linux
Just Work. In any case, Linux is much better at working with the way PCs
*actually* work than OS/2 or SCO Unix [1] were.

> #3-In my BIOS I have selected the ECP mode for the Onboard Parallel
> Port. The ECP mode asks which Direct Memory Access channel, 3 or 1.
> Which should I select?

These days, they aren't directly used by anything else, and the system
can work around whichever you choose.

> Question #4-My HPG55 printer works fine in
> parallel hookup but does not print in usb hookup. lpinfo -v recognizes
> the printer as direct usb. lsusb shows Bus 002 Device 002:ID 03f0:0011
> Hewlett-Packard. However /dev/usb/ file shows lp0 with 0 bytes and -rw-
> rw--- instead of crw-rw=== 1 lp sys 180. I think Fedora Core 3 is
> creating a regular lp0 file instead of a device node. What should I do
> now?

Fedora Core 3 included udev for the first time. It took a bit of shaking
out. Do you have all the updates installed? What do
rpm -q udev hal
rpm -V udev hal
return?

James.

[1] The other traditional culprit that needed special-handling.
--
E-mail address: james | "I would like to apologise to the relatives of the fan
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | who gave me 29 books to sign in Odyssey 7, Manchester.