Re: Grub config file editing

On 2/23/06, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thumbs are digits, but they are not fingers. Toes are also
> digits. But if you ask someone "How many fingers do you have?",
> the answer is ten. In aggregate, thumbs are fingers, but
> individually, they are not. Some aspects of English are pretty
> confusing. Like to discuss uniplurals? Or words which have
> two different forms for the plural, but with different meanings?
> How about verbs which have different conjugations depending
> on what the object of the action is? How about words which
> are their own antonyms? (That's one of my favorite categories.)
>
> > By the way, if you hold one hand in front of the other, you can hold
> > up ten fingers with only eight gaps between them!
>
> Heck, I can hold up my fingers with *no* gaps between them! Beat that!
>
> Mike

I doubt that you can do it with no gaps. I though about it, but there
will be microscopic gaps that you could not avoid. I figured that in a
discussion with Mike McCarty, I had better be as accurate as possible.

So, the idea that the thumb is not a finger is specific to the English
language. Indeed, in Hebrew it is a finger- as are the toes! So while
English speakers have 8 fingers, Hebrew speakers have 20.

> How about words which are their own antonyms?

I'd love to see some examples. I love word games- and this may be
valuable. In an attempt to keep this On Topic, are there any computer
(or linux) related ones?

Dotan