Re: Grub config file editing

Tim wrote:

> It's not difficult to do.  And unless you never prune out all your prior
> kernels (which is bad management), it's not a lot of work.  The manual
> isn't too bad describing this, and I certainly would read a manual for
> something if I was considering customising my PC to do something.

Er ... where is the grub manual?
Do you mean the "man grub" entry?
Or what you get if you say "info grub"?
The latter is much more informative,
but very difficult to navigate through, IMHO.

> And I
> do think it *is* intuitive that a reboot actually reboots your PC using
> the same system that you were already using,

But it doesn't, does it?
Do you mean it does this if you add the command you suggested?
Incidentally you gave this in two forms, "default saved" and "savedefault".
Will either work?
And what precisely will it do?

Grub is a great program, IMHO,
but its documentation is abysmal.
As for running grub interactively,
this is rather like changing a bulb in the dark.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366