Re: Hard drive cable question -

Gene Heskett wrote:

Also, if the cable is a cable select cable, as evidenced by having a black connector on what should be the motherboard and, and 2 other colors are used for the other two connectors, then the drives should be jumpered for CS, and the master drive must be on the far end of the cable.

"Should be jumpered" for CS a bit strong. I'd say "may". I don't have
any machines which use CS, and I do have a few CS cables. And I think
you have the colors mixed up. IIRC, the blue end is for the MB.

Also as a reference, these 80 pin cables should NEVER be turned end for end, as its only the black connector that is suppposed to be plugged into the motherboard that has the proper grounding connected to the alternate wires in that 80 conductor cable, thereby serving as interconductor shielding by haveing a grounded wire between each active wire, thereby reducing crosstalk by a considerable amount.

Other than getting the color wrong, this is also good advice.
Have you checked your setup?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.