Re: Hard drive cable question -

Tim wrote:
Gene Heskett:

Then you have an ata100 or faster cable. And yes, in many cases, the drives position on the cable is important. As in scsi systems, the last drive on the cable must assume that its job is to terminate the cable and try, by the termination enabled when is either jumpered as Master, or is in CS mode and the last drive, to absorb the echos from the signal transitions.

I've never heard of IDE using termination (despite understanding why

I suppose you mean ATA. Even the old MFM drives used termination,
as do floppies.

transmission lines need proper termination).  There are no termination
options on IDE drives, they seem to rely on tolerance (cable length

Yes, there are.

being severely limited, nominal expected impedances for interfaces,
etc).  Master and slave dates back to when the master drive controlled
the slave drive (the host didn't control both drives).

[snip]

I've never seen a SCSI cable with crossed wiring.  Do you have an
example?

Impossible. SCSI uses non-physical addressing, unlike ATA.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.