Re: FC4 Printer Sharing

Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 19:35 +0100, Oliver Sampson wrote:
>
>>My DHCP server isn't updating my DNS tables.  After I went to going to
>>hardcoded IPs, the printer worked.  (Now, I've got the stuff printed
>>out that I needed to print out; I can look at my DHCP/DNS
>>compatibility problem.
>

> Even if you like the automation features of using DHCP to configure your
> LAN, I'd still place servers on fixed addresses.

If your DHCP server will let you do it, assign the servers fixed
IP address based on MAC address. One other way I have done it is
to use dnsmasq as the name server for the local LAN. This works
well for small LANs, and has the advantage of updating its DNS
tables with changing DHCP leases. (It can act as a DHCP server,
or read the lease files of another DHCP server on the same machine.)

Mikkel