Re: FC4 Printer Sharing

Tim:
>> One gotcha to look out for is making sure that the users that you want
>> to be able to print have to be entered into Samba as users with
>> passwords.

Oliver Sampson:
> Is that users from the Windows side or from the Linux side?

On Windows you have user "johndoe" with password "mysecret".

On Linux you create an account for the user.  The local logon username
and passwords to Linux can be different, as Samba works seperately.

In Samba you create username and password credentials the same as with
Windows, and associate them with the local user on Linux (which could be
the same details, or different).

e.g. johndoe (Windows) could be johndoe (Linux), could could just be
john, and associated with johndoe through the Samba configuration.

The default behaviour for Samba, these days, seems to be to use
encrypted passwords (the same as Windows does), so that problem
shouldn't crop up for you (incompatible credential techniques).

> Feb 12 20:32:30 friday smbd[27966]:   getpeername failed. Error was
> Transport endpoint is not connected

That sounds either like it's unable to figure out machine names (e.g. it
might be DNS resolution, or LMHOSTS SMB-style machine name resolution
problems), or it could be network connectivity.  What about firewalling
on the Windows side of things?

I read messages from the public lists.