Re: Writing to fstab

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 10:56, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Something strange is happening in my attempts to write to fstab.  I have
> > added, for instance,
> >
> > LABEL=/OldData
> > /dev/hdb9               /mnt/data               ext3    users 1 2
> >
> > then umounted the manual mount of /mnt/data and run
> >
> > [root@david ~]# mount -a
> > mount: mount point  does not exist
> >
> > However, the mount occurs and /mnt/data is readable in konqueror.
> >
> > Clearly there is some sort of problem, but what?
>
> There appears to be two lines:
>
> LABEL=/OldData
>
> This line does not have enough fields and is the one mount complains about.
>
> /dev/hdb9               /mnt/data               ext3    users 1 2
>
> This line has the right number of fields and hence works.

Hi, Paul.  I copied from the existing entries, not realising that the display
had split the lines.  However, I not get

[mntent]: line 9 in /etc/fstab is bad
[mntent]: line 10 in /etc/fstab is bad
[mntent]: line 11 in /etc/fstab is bad
[mntent]: line 12 in /etc/fstab is bad

These are my entries:

LABEL=/OldData          /dev/hdb9               /mnt/data               ext3
users           1 2
LABEL=/home_july05      /dev/hdb7               /mnt/home_july05        ext3
users           1 2
LABEL=/mnt/home_dec05   /dev/hdb11              /mnt/home_dec05         ext3
users           1 2
LABEL=OldVideo          /dev/hdb8               /mnt/video              ext3
users           1 2

In each case KWrite is highlighting the final parameter.  I know that these
parameters concern checking, but I don't much much else, so again I copied
from the existing /home line.

Advice, please?

Anne