Re: Writing to fstab

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Wednesday 22 February 2006 10:56, Paul Howarth wrote:

Anne Wilson wrote:

Something strange is happening in my attempts to write to fstab.  I have
added, for instance,

LABEL=/OldData
/dev/hdb9               /mnt/data               ext3    users 1 2

then umounted the manual mount of /mnt/data and run

[root@david ~]# mount -a
mount: mount point  does not exist

However, the mount occurs and /mnt/data is readable in konqueror.

Clearly there is some sort of problem, but what?

There appears to be two lines:

LABEL=/OldData

This line does not have enough fields and is the one mount complains about.

/dev/hdb9               /mnt/data               ext3    users 1 2

This line has the right number of fields and hence works.

Hi, Paul. I copied from the existing entries, not realising that the display had split the lines. However, I not get
[mntent]: line 9 in /etc/fstab is bad
[mntent]: line 10 in /etc/fstab is bad
[mntent]: line 11 in /etc/fstab is bad
[mntent]: line 12 in /etc/fstab is bad

These are my entries:

LABEL=/OldData /dev/hdb9 /mnt/data ext3 users 1 2 LABEL=/home_july05 /dev/hdb7 /mnt/home_july05 ext3 users 1 2 LABEL=/mnt/home_dec05 /dev/hdb11 /mnt/home_dec05 ext3 users 1 2 LABEL=OldVideo /dev/hdb8 /mnt/video ext3 users 1 2

In each case KWrite is highlighting the final parameter. I know that these parameters concern checking, but I don't much much else, so again I copied from the existing /home line.

Advice, please?

The LABEL= syntax is an alternative to specifying the device/partition. So you'd use

LABEL=/OldData

*instead of*

/dev/hdb9

rather than in addition to it. The filesystem can be labelled using e2label. This syntax can help when actual device names are prone to changing (more often the case with SCSI drives than IDE ones).

You're probably better off just dispensing with the LABEL= field altogether in this case.

Paul.