Re: Quick rsync question

> When you run it and it starts downloading stuff, the question is then
> where is it putting it?  Really over the top of what is there or down
> somewhere unexpected.  If you start re-running rsync twice, with -v -v,
> before ^C-ing out, is it re-downloading the same initial files both
> times, or actually building a new destination tree somewhere file by file?
>
> If it always redownloads the same initial file, manually fixup the
> ownership on that file in the destination and see if that changes
> matters... but I don't think it takes this into account.

It definitely thinks they are different. Maybe I'll just let it run
again, it's really not that big of a deal. In a few hours it'll be done
and life will be good again. But this has come up before and it would be
nice to know the answer.

I've had a similar thing happen on another box I backup. It's my mythtv
box so it has big files. Every so often I use avidemux2 and edit the
files. Now, if i edit a file and save it, then manually copy it to the
other system, when rsync runs I get the same thing. rsync does the whole
file again. Now in this case, it's possible that the timestamps were not
the same, because there's a good chance I did not use the preserve
settings with cp. BUT, I think I have copied files using Windows over
smb shares, and the time and dates do stay the same.... That was a
mouthful and hopefully it made sense...

The first few say it's uptodate because it ran a little bit before.

# rsync -v -urv0 --progress --delete /media/160GBUSBDSK/data /mnt/USBbkup-storage
building file list ...
[sender] expand file_list to 131072 bytes, did move
[sender] expand file_list to 262144 bytes, did move
[sender] expand file_list to 524288 bytes, did move
90262 files to consider
[receiver] expand file_list to 131072 bytes, did move
[receiver] expand file_list to 262144 bytes, did move
[receiver] expand file_list to 524288 bytes, did move
[receiver] expand file_list to 131072 bytes, did move
deleting in data
delta-transmission disabled for local transfer or --whole-file
data/Boys.JPG is uptodate
data/BoysCalendar.jpg is uptodate
data/BoysCalendarResize.jpg is uptodate
data/Baptism/DSC00679.JPG is uptodate
data/Baptism/DSC00680.JPG is uptodate
data/Baptism/DSC00681.JPG is uptodate
data/Baptism/DSC00682.JPG is newer
data/Baptism/DSC00683.JPG is newer
data/Baptism/DSC00684.JPG is newer
data/Baptism/DSC00685.JPG is newer
data/Baptism/DSC00686.JPG is newer
data/Baptism/DSC00687.JPG is newer
data/Baptism/DSC00688.JPG is newer
data/Baptism/DSC00689.JPG
     2153431 100%   10.48MB/s    0:00:00  (1, 0.0% of 90262)
data/Baptism/DSC00690.JPG

Thanks,
James