Re: Quick rsync question

James Pifer wrote:
>> AFAIK the only information that rsync uses to determine if a copy exists
>> is in the file that you have on the destination side, eg, timestamp, the
>>  filename, etc.  It's not like it has a separate database or something.
>>  Have the timestamps changed, eg, the destination timestamps are the
>> times the copy was written?  I usually use the switches avz.
>>
>> -Andy
>
> No, it looks like timestamps and dates are the same when comparing with
> ls -l. The only noticable difference is the ownership.

When you run it and it starts downloading stuff, the question is then
where is it putting it?  Really over the top of what is there or down
somewhere unexpected.  If you start re-running rsync twice, with -v -v,
before ^C-ing out, is it re-downloading the same initial files both
times, or actually building a new destination tree somewhere file by file?

If it always redownloads the same initial file, manually fixup the
ownership on that file in the destination and see if that changes
matters... but I don't think it takes this into account.

-Andy