Re: Can GRUB boot GRUB?

On 2/20/06, Iain Stephen <i.stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 12:18 -0600, Justin Willmert wrote:
> > You should be able to just chain load the Debian installation much like
> > you would the Windows installation. Just give Debian the hda0 path
> > rather than sdaX.
> > Take my comments as a grain of salt though. I am by NO means an advanced
> > user in GRUB. I'm just telling you that I don't see much of a difference
> > between the chain loading situations.
>
> That's what I thought too, but I can't get it to work. If I remember
> correctly Debian starts booting but tries to use the FC4 filesystem on
> sda and I get a kernel panic, or various GRUB errors depending on what
> I've tried in menu.lst.

If you truly have grub installed in the MBR of both drives and
pointing to different stage2 files, (ie if you installed one while the
other was not plugged in) than you can chainload one grub from the
other. If the bios loads grub on (hd0) then you would say "chainloader
(hd1)+1" and boot into the other grub. From there, you just need to
make sure that the kernel command line points to the right rootfs.

The chainloader is what you use for anything that would otherwise boot
itself, including DOS, Windows, and other bootloaders.