Re: Grub config file editing

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 11:32 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> It does not "remember" your previous selection.  It does *always* boot
> the kernel marked as default unless you make some other selection from
> the menu.

It is possible to configure GRUB to work the way you argue against.
That can be useful for people with multi-boot systems who want to be
able simply reboot the current OS.

Instead of something like "default 0" to set the OS to be booted without
interaction, you have a line with "saved" to boot using the last OS, and
inside each title section you have a "savedefault" line so the system
remembers which one you chose.

e.g. From the GRUB info file:

          default saved
          timeout 10

          title GNU/Linux
          root (hd0,0)
          kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 vga=ext
          initrd /boot/initrd
          savedefault

          title FreeBSD
          root (hd0,a)