Re: Grub config file editing

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 09:32 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 11:32 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> > It does not "remember" your previous selection.  It does *always* boot
> > the kernel marked as default unless you make some other selection from
> > the menu.
>
> It is possible to configure GRUB to work the way you argue against.
> That can be useful for people with multi-boot systems who want to be
> able simply reboot the current OS.

OK, so you *CAN* make it do that.   It certainly is not the default
behavior and requires modification of every stanza in grub.conf to
achieve what you describe as well as changing the default line.  That is
not easy for most, nor intuitive at all, and most would not consider
making those changes without a tutorial or a clearly documented
procedure and reason.

Most people I know simply want the system to work without having to get
under the hood and adjust the dohickey to fix their thingamajig.  Grub
documentation is sparse and since I am happy with the system as it is
(and I suspect most are), I have not spent hours digging and trying to
find out what is possible.

I wonder how many people on this list actually knew that was possible
before you posted the procedure here?